A quick product photography checklist.
IMAGE TYPE REQUIREMENTS
- Each of the products main images should at least 400*247 pixels.
- The maximum size of each of the products main images is 8 Mb.
- Each image in the long description must be 450 pixels in width.
- Each image type in the long description or main images should be jpeg, gif, or, png.
VIDEO TYPE REQUIREMENT
- Videos can only be added to the long description with a link from youtube or vimeo.
SELECT THE TYPE OF PHOTOGRAPHY REQUIRED FOR YOUR PRODUCT
- Detail shot (a close-up photo that highlights your product’s features)
- Scale shot (an image of your product that visually communicates it’s size)
- Lifestyle shot (an image of your product in a natural habitat).
YOUR IMAGE BACKGROUND
The background should complement your product and keep the buyer’s attention on your product.
- Choose uncluttered backgrounds to show your product in action.
- Select a natural habitat for your images to complement your products.
- Use one or a few consistent backgrounds for all of your products, to create a cohesive look on your Brand Page.
LIGHTING IN YOUR IMAGES
If you want a clear, beautiful image, lighting your product well while taking pictures is arguably the most important thing you can do.
- Avoid using Instagram-type filters that alter the colors of your product.
- When lighting your products images, the key is to avoid harsh light, whether it’s direct sunlight, a strong fluorescent indoor bulb, or a flash on your camera.
CROPPING YOUR IMAGES
Editing your images can be tedious if you are trying to compensate for poor lighting or mistakes in the photoshoot.
- Crop your photos to remove excess white space and focus customer attention on your product, using the rule of thirds.